Teaching an Online Course
- Scheduling the course – This process is exactly the same as for
on-campus courses. The department schedules the course in ROOMs and
lists the instructor in ROnet.
- Cloning (creating a term specific course space) - WSU Online
creates a course space with the course content by copying an earlier version
of the course.
- After the course has been copied, the assigned instructor will receive an
automated email regarding the Course Verification process and
be asked to inform WSU Online of any changes or to confirm that the course space
is OK. It is the instructor’s responsibility to ensure the course is ready
on the first day of class. Review the entire course space including links,
course schedule dates, assessments settings, etc. There is a check list included within the Course Verification link in the course space.
- An Instructional Designer is assigned to each course
to provide support to instructors. You will be contacted by the Instructional Designer assigned
to your course, but don’t hesitate to contact us with questions.
- Orientation materials, for those new to teaching online
or for WSU Online, or those out of practice, are available. See the
Angel Training Workshops section for more information. In addition, the Instructional Designer
will invite you to a more personalized orientation session prior to the
beginning of the term.
- Welcome Announcement - The Welcome Announcement
is very helpful in providing insight for the students about the instructor and
course, and in connecting with the students. A well-crafted announcement will
help head off the onslaught of questions often received the first week or two
of the semester. Therefore, the announcement should be in place prior
to the first day of class.
- Grades - Use the grade book in the course space. Grades
need to be entered into ROnet at the end of the semester, just as they are for
on-campus courses. For questions related to grades, incompletes, or student
enrollment issues contact firstname.lastname@example.org.